Thursday, October 1, 2020

Beat the Street

 

Beat the Street
Sweetwater, Texas
September 26, 2020
Registration was set up by course length so the processing time went fast and smoothly.

I don't know the count but an impressive number of riders showed up despite the event having been postponed from the original date.
A respectable number from San Angelo turned out. Of course, Christine.


Dorothy was kind enough to take Christine and my picture at the line up. 

Below are some of the San Angelo riders--courtesy of Jodie--and includes race spoiler alerts:

Jodie, third place 33 miles.
Brian 6th place men 33 miles.
Jim, 15th place Men 71 mile.
Me: DO NOT believe the race results sheet. First, I have a declared (disqualifying) ebike. Second, I signed up for the 49 mile race but missed a turn and found myself on the 33 mile route. Of course my posted time for the 49 mile was impressive. Even so, the REAL winner of the 49 mile race was not far behind my time. 
Same for Christine. She stayed on course but had declared her ebike before the start and declined the time chip. It took some real talking to convince the race directors that Christine was not first place in the women's division. But finally, she was removed from 1st place. 
Sort of the same for Dorothy. She had a declared ebike and had to talk them out of giving her 3rd place. We have to be careful or we will be banned from participating in their event.
Bill has a "real" bike, but I don't recall his place in the event.
Even though Jodie was racing, she and Dorothy were lined up way back in the back with Christine and me.
Start was fairly level. Can't say the same for the rest of the ride.

Sweetwater reservoir about 5 miles out.







As I am not sure when or where this was taken, I will pretend it is when I left the road and can start my whining and appeal for sympathy. There were some rough rumble strips along the highway and getting over to the shoulder, I hit them and lost control of my direction. Went off into the ditch and before I could stop, I was scrapped by a barbed wire fence. Very aggravating. 
May as well show my owey ouch now. Very aggravating to me and disconcerting to others as I would pass them dripping blood with a chewed up arm. I didn't count the number of times I got a "What happened to you?" 
To top off my morning, I suddenly caught up to Dorothy
and Jodie who were on the 33 mile course. 
Dorothy informed me that Christine had gone straight farther back down the road continuing on the 49 mile route. I obviously turned onto the 33 mile route, but by this time I didn't care. 
There was pretty scenery such as this field of sunflowers.
And I was riding in good company. So I had nothing to complain about except my boo boo.

All in all I am very grateful that Sweetwater held the line and continued with their ride. So many have just cancelled this year that it is greatly appreciated when a ride is held. 

Thanks for the many volunteers and sponsors who made the event possible. 

And memo to self: review this post before next year's ride and stay off the rumble strips. 


No comments:

Post a Comment