Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Mt. Locke Race

Mt. Locke Race
Fort Davis, Texas
September 18, 2020

Mt. Locke is a 7 mile category 3 race held each year in conjunction with the Fort Davis Cyclefest. However, this year the event was cancelled, but a bunch of people were determined to ride and do their own thing.

Such was Brian and myself. We decided that we would "race" up Mt. Locke on Friday afternoon and then ride The Scenic Loop on Saturday. Some background: I have ridden my Giant ebike for the past three years and have finished first each time, although I declare my bike and therefore I can not officially place. However, I get my Mt. Locke beanie prize and sometimes honorable mention, so I am happy.

With the explanation out of the way, I have always wondered how well a "strong" person could do on the climb, and this year things lined up to find out. Christine didn't want to do the climb so I talked Brian into using her ebike. As Brian has won or placed several times in the 1 1/2 mile Mt. Locke race, it would make a great time to satisfy my curiosity  


Another note of explanation of this post. Christine was to drive ahead of us and take pictures of our ride. She had a hard time finding a place to park, take a picture, go up, and then park again.
Immediately after the start we begin an incline. Now, the road is clear ahead of me. Just as Christine gave us the countdown to go, I heard Brian say something like, "Oh poo." Not used to the bike he had a hesitation, but of course, it's being a "race," I zoomed ahead. Shortly, I checked my rear view mirror and could not see Brian. I slowed wondering if we needed to start over, as he didn't get a good start. However, he quickly came into view. Now mirrors say objects are smaller than reality, but the image I watched kept getting larger and larger. In the first mile, Brian passed me as if I were standing still. Soon, I could say that the picture above was of our race, as that was the last time I saw Brian until the finish.
Christine was able to get ahead of Brian at a good point showing Brian and the climb grade.

In good spirits, Brian could casually wave to the crowd of one, even though he was supposed to be tucked in at race mode.
Even though it was a category 3 climb, there were a few declines. Speaking for myself, not enough downhills to allow myself to recover in the thin mountain air.
Ever up.
Finally at the turn off to go past the Visitor's Center and to the last and hardest leg of the ride.
But this is what greeted us at the Visitor's Center.



I come rolling in.
Now I am only posing as a survivor. At the road block Christine and Brian were there to "cheer" me in. Remember, I wanted to find out the possible difference that strong legs would make on the ride. Well, I came in at my usual 18 minutes. Brian got there in 14 minutes. 

There was still the last 1 1/2 mile to go, and this is what we missed. The finish is 17 degrees after an 8-12 degree constant climb. But I still would have liked to find out Brian's total finish time. Maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment