Sunday, June 9, 2019

Tour de Agua

Tour de Agua
Dublin, Texas
June 8, 2019
San Angelo participants:
Brian
Chase
 Christine
 Jerry

David
 Start of the line up for the 41 milers. The 100K's had already taken off. Staggered start for the racers. 
Group shot at line up. Christine, David, Me, Jerry
  Not sure how Brian was left out of the other photo, so rather than skip over him, loaded this picture.
 Still lining up. There was really a good attendance for the race/tour. 
 We were still bunched up a bit right after take off. Knew I shouldn't shoot into the sun, but we were coming up on our first good hill.
 A lot of good scenery on this ride.

 First rest stop. Brian leads the way to refreshments. We had already discussed that none of us was going to try to even place in the race, so we would stop at the rest stops and just enjoy the ride.

Somewhere along this time I started to worry as we had not seen Jerry since the start. So I doubled back to the last rest stop and asked if they had seen a tall slim man come by. Nope. So they radioed in and no one had sagged anyone except a female. 
As I had waited so long at the rest stop, almost everyone had passed by and my journey to catch up was a lonely one. 
Finally miles later, I started to see other riders.
 



For the first time in many years everyone's tanks, ponds, reservoirs, and lakes are full or nearly so.





 Lot of long inclines on the ride. Just several of the hills were "tough", but long ones can wear you down just as fast as tough hills.
 Rest stop 2. Even though it was a race, as one well knows, if you come in 4th, 5th, or below, it really is a tour. So why wear ourselves out if we didn't try for 1,2,3.
Also, I met back up with Christine, and she had learned that Jerry had skipped the first rest stop and was AHEAD of us.


 I rode "with" Christine until the next rest stop.










At this rest stop, we met up with Jerry. Now Brian and David were way ahead of us.



              Christine decided that she had sat in the saddle long enough, so she was going on to finish the ride as fast as possible. (Spoiler alert, she ended with a 19.1 average. Hooray for "e" power!)
Jerry and I continued on the pace that we wanted, and we weren't looking to set any records.


This was added to try to get some information. To the left of the building was a row of "fans" by the feeding troughs. I have never seen anything like that and could not imagine the fans were to cool the cows. But what are they for? Anyone know?
Cute. Generally statues of horses, not cows.
Abandoned house, but reminded me of Tobacco Road in Georgia. May be an old shack, but it had a TV antenna. 
Similar house just down the road.
Hard to take good shots of wildflowers on the go--
So stopped and took some closeups.

Racers who came by asked if I was OK. Stooped over probably looked like I was throwing up rather than taking pictures.
But how else can you take a picture of a flower looking like a landing eagle with wings and talons spread out. 
Jerry and I continued on our ride. Christine, Brian, and David were probably already finished, but we probably saw more scenery rather than the landscapes rushing by.
Big dog. Luckily behind big fence.

Nearing town.
Being guided to finish line.
Finish line.
BBQ sandwich serving place.
Big drink for thirsty riders. Smaller bottles of Dublin soda pop were in ice at the eating area. And free.
Delicious BBQ sandwiches and chips were all of $5.00.


Good entertainment to boot.

Satisfied looks from Chase and Brian.


Maybe one can tell from my satisfied look that I had a chocolate milk shake from close by Doc's Drug Store. Hate to end a great ride with a downer story. But I didn't think any thing could ruin ice cream. But for "dessert," I wanted a frosty. Well, I choose pralines & cream ice cream--with a root beer base. Ugh. Tasted like medicine. Never, never mix root beer with pralines & cream ice cream. Just trust me.


















No comments:

Post a Comment