Thursday, April 18, 2019

Hale Koa and Honolulu

 Hale Koa
Honolulu, Hawaii
March 15, 2019
Our first port was Honolulu. Although many different tours were available, this was the fourth time Christine and I have been to the Hawaiian Islands, so we have taken most of the tours at one time or another. We chose to go to the Hale Koa Resort to spend the day.
Hale Koa means House of the Warrior in Hawaiian and is an Armed Forces Recreation Center located on Waikiki Beach. We have stayed there several times and would love to return in the future.
The lobby is open air with many lounge areas. On Fridays there are vendors.  
Ah, shopping. Serendipity. Christine found one of the vendors from whom she bought hand woven pandanus leaf bracelets some eight years ago. And she bought again.
The Hawaiian fish hook was another of her purchases. The Hawaiian fish hook pendant has significant meaning to Hawaiians, denoting the positive aspects of life. Hawaiian Life says that wearing the fish hook pendant is thought to bring about good luck, prosperity, and strength.


Christine was happy with her purchases and gifts for our sons and daughter-in-law...and herself.
Me, there were several things that I wanted. One was a long wooden back scratcher that came in an alcoholic drink by the same name in which Christine had indulged some years ago. I am down to three back scratchers and wanted to re-stock. BUT, Christine had caught a cold and didn't want a drink (alcoholic). So I didn't get my back scratcher.
I wanted to replace my Hale Koa cap that is getting a little worn, so we went to the exchange store. THEY DON'T CARRY THEM ANYMORE. I didn't get my cap. 
I wanted another Hale Koa t-shirt, but they only had Polo shirts. I DIDN'T GET MY T-SHIRT.
Now, I could pout and go back to the ship or walk around the beautiful hotel grounds. 
Christine had me sit by the great banyan tree to get over my pouting. It worked. So we strolled the Hale Koa grounds.






















You see why we love the Hale Koa?

 We ate lunch in the open air café and had a visitor that wanted to join us.

No hurry, I will wait for your crumbs.

Saved for last of our resort tour. Waikiki Beach at the back of the grounds. Hale Koa has the largest beach front on the entire Waikiki Beach. The beach and sea bed gently slope out. There is little if any snorkeling rewards as the sea bed is white sand with no remaining reefs. You have to go way on out or to other islands to find great snorkeling, but as far as pure swimming fun, the beach is great.

Honolulu and the famous Aloha Tower from the ship.


Local touring yacht.
 Tripler Army Medical Center overlooks Pearl Harbor.
Small section of harbor skyline.
Diamond Head in the background taken from the very top deck of the Eurodam. Hate to end on a sour note, but once you could see Diamond Head from almost anywhere in Honolulu. Now, as more and more high rise buildings go up, the view is getting to be more and more difficult.





1 comment:

  1. I got this website from my friend who told me on the topic of this website and at the moment this time I am
    visiting this website and reading very informative articles or reviews here.

    ReplyDelete